Application Engineering MS SQL Server DBA Lead
Application Engineering MS SQL Server DBA Lead
We are looking for a really strong MS SQL DBA to join our client's team, to lead a DBA group. This group maintains both development and production MS SQL databases for cutting edge SAAS applications, as well as some on-prem databases.
In this role, you'll be the most experienced technical resource, to provide both troubleshooting and optimization on production systems, as well as contributing to proper design in new application work. You'll lead a team of DBAs who are onshore and offshore.
You'll get to work with Microsoft's top engineers who consult with our client, and be up on the latest in MS SQL technology. The client is moving very fast to Azure, you'll implement SQLaaS and contribute your experience and talent as new applications are built and deployed in PAAS.
This role will start as a contract for 3-5 months and then convert to a full-time leadership role in the company. The company is consistently voted one of the top companies to work for, and has great technology investment but also takes good care of it's employees and has a very high employee satisfaction rating, is family-friendly.
The (too-lengthy!) full description is below, but if this position interests you and you're the killer DBA we need, please apply or give a call to us on 203-304-5500.
Primary Purpose and Goal
The Application Engineering DBA Lead is a core competency champion in one or more identified products and/or technology platforms focusing primarily on associated Database operations, application integration and performance. The DBA Lead heads an offshore engineering DBA team to provide consistent, effective, secure, flexible, high quality and cost effective cross-functional database engineering services in order to achieve operational excellence in the following areas:
- Application specific database engineering
- Infrastructure engineering to benefit database functionality and performance
- Database integration services and DB platform engineering, including Azure SQLaaS
- Database security engineering
- Database performance management and performance test engineering
- Automation engineering relating to DB deployment, operations and monitoring/management
- Existing database environment management
- Development of processes and procedures for compliance and security management of DB access and housed data
The hands-on Application Engineering DBA Lead leverages existing relationships with Global functions and knowledge of Global functional products in providing best in class, next generation DB engineering services that are designed specifically to improve Functional Alignment and Strategic Relationships.
The Application Engineering DBA Lead is responsible for identifying opportunities to implement automation and standardize delivery of environment-agnostic DB engineering services to support faster and more flexible service delivery without impacting quality or performance.
The Application Engineering DBA Lead works with product, project and business owners from initiative inception to completion to ensure associated infrastructure, performance, security, availability, support, etc., requirements are addressed, communicated and adhered to throughout the full product lifecycle.
- Functional DBA Engineering – lead and track multiple products and/or projects simultaneously, from initial scope evaluation and intake to implementation and ultimately, ongoing maintenance.
- Manages, performs, delegates and monitors day to day database engineering activities and execution by working with both onsite and offshore engineering and project teams
- Develops and institutes departmental procedures aimed at streamlining processes, reducing time to delivery, increasing uptime, improving consistency and enhancing overall DB service efficiency.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Architectural – Maintains a broad understanding of managed, implemented and forthcoming database technologies, their individual workings and the way in which they interact within deployed applications and the larger environment in general.
- Technical – Develops and drives technical solutions to existing and future database related restrictions or problems and addresses potential limitations in a pro-active manner.
- Program – Primary point of contact for program-specific database engineering activities
- Responsible for providing effective technical support to all DB reliant products throughout their IT lifecycle.
- Develops a continued understanding of existing product lines and technology platforms and serves as a core competency champion, proficient in delivering “innovative” DB related Global business solutions
- Provides thought leadership in introducing new and advancing database technologies and efficient practices.
- Available to work weekends and off-hours to support project timelines and emergency situations.
Management and Competencies
- Become a core competency champion in one or more products and/or technology platforms
- Ability to take the lead and inspire and motivate others to follow.
- Capable of managing both technical and non-technical requirements and personnel
- Able to leverage offshore personnel/managed services to successfully maintain day-to-day ‘keep the lights on’ activities with high quality in a cost-effective manner
- Experience with or general ability to effectively manage and interact with remote, off-site and off-shore resources, some working within alternate time-zones.
- Ability to create, communicate and promote compelling status and progress reports, utilizing effective methods by which to best display successes and accomplishments in a convincing manner.
- Knowledge of and ability to actively monitor the environment, be it through automated processes and tools, consistent procedures or alternate functional methods.
- Encourages knowledge enhancement, continued education, and cross-team training
- 5 plus years of hands-on and team lead experience as a database lead, primary DBA or equivalent – working on enterprise database platforms (MS SQL, Oracle, Oracle EBS, SAP, mySQL) in a large, multinational organization
- Deep knowledge and hands-on experience in manual and automated application deployment and database configurations across diverse physical, virtual and cloud environments
- Excellent communication skills, the ability to clearly and simply convey information to stakeholders in a way that is meaningful and achieves the desired outcome
- Understanding of performance monitoring and capacity planning analysis from a database/data warehouse perspective
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, provides solutions quickly with low service impact
- In-depth understanding of real-world Product Line features, provides detailed overviews of a subset of product/technology features; architecture, development, performance, migration, deployment
- Good knowledge of regional issues, ability to work with people from many different backgrounds
- Strong understanding of database technology architecture in an enterprise environment
- Strong experience implementing database and data warehouse installations within physical, virtual and cloud environments, working knowledge of LDAP and Microsoft Active Directory
- Hands-on experience in deploying enterprise platforms for business applications. Knowledge of VSTS, Kubernetes, Chef, Puppet, Jenkins or alternate deployment and orchestration tools desired
- Hands-on experience in Product lifecycle management relating to various hosting products and services, Azure specific cloud system lifecycle and ‘utility model’ management desired
- Ability to understand and translate Business and technical strategies and standards
- Project management skills sufficient to coordinate tasks of member firm contacts, understanding of full project cycle to support deployment efforts
- A proven track record of effectively managing IT Operational Teams and Services
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft office tools such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Understanding and experience with ITIL processes
- Experience working with and managing resources from Outsourced Partners with sound knowledge of how best to build effective working relationships
- Experience leading and working with virtual teams that are geographically dispersed
Education / Academics
- Collegiate undergraduate degree or equivalent industry work experience
- Professional IT Qualifications in related products preferred
- ITIL Foundation and/or additional ITIL knowledge and understanding preferred
Job ID: 4246